Jnana-Yoga - 5.5.
MAYA AND FREEDOM -5.
(Delivered in London, 22nd October 1896)
Day and night tell lies to others and to your own souls, because that is the only way to live happily." This is what is called practical wisdom, and never was it more prevalent in the world than in this nineteenth century; because never were harder blows hit than at the present time, never was competition keener, never were men so cruel to their fellow-men as now; and, therefore, must this consolation be offered.
It is put forward in the strongest way at the present time; but it fails, as it always must fail. We cannot hide a carrion with roses; it is impossible. It would not avail long; for soon the roses would fade, and the carrion would be worse than ever before. So with our lives. We may try to cover our old and festering sores with cloth of gold, but there comes a day when the cloth of gold is removed, and the sore in all its ugliness is revealed.
Is there no hope then? True it is that we are all slaves of Maya, born in Maya, and live in Maya. Is there then no way out, no hope? That we are all miserable, that this world is really a prison, that even our so-called trailing beauty is but a prison-house, and that even our intellects and minds are prison-houses, have been known for ages upon ages.
There has never been a man, there has never been a human soul, who has not felt this sometime or other, however he may talk. And the old people feel it most, because in them is the accumulated experience of a whole life, because they cannot be easily cheated by the lies of nature.
Is there no way out? We find that with all this, with this terrible fact before us, in the midst of sorrow and suffering, even in this world where life and death are synonymous, even here, there is a still small voice that is ringing through all ages, through every country, and in every heart:
"This My Maya is divine, made up of qualities, and very difficult to cross. Yet those that come unto Me, cross the river of life." "Come unto Me all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest."
This is the voice that is leading us forward. Man has heard it, and is hearing it all through the ages. This voice comes to men when everything seems to be lost and hope has fled, when man's dependence on his own strength has been crushed down and everything seems to melt away between his fingers, and life is a hopeless ruin.
Then he hears it. This is called religion.
1. Muslims and Christians must understand that Bharatham is above the top of the world Spiritually high above Islam and Christianity, as Sanatana Dharmam is followed here many years before the birth of Christianity and Islam.
2. All scriptures in Sanatana Dharmam far superior than Christian's Bible and Mohammedan's Quran.
3. Sanatana Dhrmam consider world as a single family, and the People of Bharatham pray for the welfare of the whole world, which is not found in Christianity and Islam as they both hate themselves and others too.
4. Bharatham is Holy Nation because of its Realisation of ONENESS IN ALL IN / AS JIVATMA IS THE PART OF PARAMATMA.
5. SANATANA DHARMAM SUSTAINS IN PEACE WHERE AS CHRISTIANITY AND ISLAM BORN IN VIOLENCE, SUSTAIN IN VIOLENCE AND DIE IN VIOLENCE.
6. Christianity and Islam are not religions, but are Sampradaya-s, The Nature's Rule is what ever takes birth must decay and perish. This is the universal Truth.
7. Swami Vivekananda talks reflects this Truth.
To be continued ..